Monday, June 9, 2014

São Paulo- Santana Letter 5

Dear Family & Friends,

Happy Monday everyone! This week seemed like an entire month, so many things happened. I'm relieved it's finally Pday. 

The beginning of the week was really good. I was feeling confident about our lessons, we were having success with our investigators, things were starting to feel a bit more normal. Then... SUPRISE! Sister Garner gets emergency transferred and the other Santana sisters (Sister Paredes and Sister Pinon) and I become a trio. Which means I have to carry on our area. Which means we have to balance all the work from 2 areas. Let's just say this week was very hectic and at times, we were literally running from appointment to appointment. Missionaries should be used to unexpected events like this right? I am thankful for the chance to finally breathe today.

The day Sister Garner was transferred, I had to ride in the car with her, and President and Sister Martins, to Soracaba, to be the "companion" while they transferred other sisters around. We went to the "interior" part of São Paulo, an hour outside of the city where most of the sisters serve (there are few sisters that serve here in the "capital" where I am serving). So I spent pretty much the whole day in the car with my mission president, which turned out to be a HUGE blessing. Of course I was stressed about Sister Garner leaving and President Martins told me something I desperately needed to hear: "Sister Jorgensen, this is not your problem. It's the Lord's. This is not your work. It's the Lord's. Leave the worrying to Him".

I can testify to you, because of all the crazy things that happened this week, that this is in fact the work of the Lord. He qualifies whom He calls. When we submit to His will and do all we can do, He makes up the difference. He labors WITH us! I could not have made it through this week without His help and His tender mercies. Let me give you an example.

Yesterday we had Stake Conference (a semi-annual church meeting with all the congregations in the area). Sunday mornings for missionaries are always stressful trying to make sure all the investigators (people we are teaching) make it to church and are taken care of. We were already late because we were walking with a mom and daughter from the other sisters' area (here in Brazil we walk our investigators to church) and I was really, really stressed about my investigators, Amanda and Damiana, who would be coming for the first time. I wanted to meet them at the front so they wouldn't get lost or overwhelmed with all the people. I was fuming inside, looking at my watch, as we climbed the last hill to the church building, when a car drove by "Oi Sisteres!", which the Bishop, his family, and my two investigators in the back, Amanda and Damiana. 

My heart melted with joy and gratitude. I was SO happy, what a relief!!! Without being asked, the Bishop picked up Amanda and Damiana as they were walking from the bus stop. This small act of service was a huge deal to me and to them. We ended up having 8 investigators at church yesterday- miracle! And Amanda (12 year old daughter of Damiana) is excited to be baptized June 28th!!! Now we just have to get Damiana on board...

I have no doubt that the Lord's hand is guiding this work of salvation. I am so grateful for this week, though probably the most stressful and crazy of my entire mission, it has been a growing week and I have learned ALOT. I CAN lead my area. I CAN speak Portuguese. I CAN work in a trio. I can't do it alone, but I can do it with the Lord. Anything is possible with prayers of faith. I am so grateful for the ward I am serving in. They are the real missionaries; we are just here to help.

Heavenly Father often sends us experiences that take us out of our comfort zone, that seem overwhelmingly impossible. But He knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows what we can handle. And He is right there, every step of the way, to take our worries, to take our stress, to take our fear, and to replace it with faith and strength.

I love and miss you all!
Com Amor,
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Guess what... I was talking in my sleep in Portuguese this week. My companions laugh and laugh about this. And this annoying computer still won't load pics... hopefully next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment