Monday, June 2, 2014

São Paulo- Santana Letter 4

Dear Family & Friends,
This week we had transfers but because I arrived mid-transfer, nothing changed. Sister Garner and I are continuing our adventures in Santana along with the other sisters that live with us! This transfer we have Copa Do Mundo (world cup) coming up but it won't affect us as much as I thought. There are four days (June 12, 17, 23, 28) with games that we have to stay in our apartment after 4pm, but other than that, missionary work will carry on as normal!
We had some really good lessons with our investigators this week. The most spiritual lessons we have are when we read the Book of Mormon together, especially verses about following the Savior's example with baptism. We're teaching an awesome lady named Angelica who has a son living in Florida, who was recently baptized with his family. She visits them frequently and attends church when she is there (in English so she doesn't understand much). She was very firm about not joining the church but in the past month her heart has softened and she has been coming to church on her own here in Santana. During our lesson, her son actually called on the phone to talk to us! He said Angelica is a "tough one" but if she decided to be baptized, he would fly to Brazil to surprise her and baptize her. She is tough to convince, but we aren't here to convince her- we're here to open the door for the Spirit to convert. We are determined to make it happen! We fasted for her yesterday. She is such a sweet lady. Future Relief Society President for sure.
I learned something cool this week. "CTR" (choose the right) is the same in Portuguese but "conserva tua rota" (conserve your route). I thought that was pretty neat! When we are choosing the right, we are in fact striving to stay on the correct path and "conserve", or remain steadfast and firm as an example of Christ. I just really love Portuguese. So much insight.
Overall this week was a good one! A few rough days but I am getting more accustomed to the routine and all the walking. No more band-aids but I have some rock solid caluses (sp?) on the bottom of my toes. Very attractive, but no one sees my feet. Day by day I am understanding and speaking more and more. It's still hard- I still come home at the end of every day completely wiped out, brain explosion and all. But I know Heavenly Father is blessing me and He won't give me anything I can't handle. Thank you for your prayers!
2 Nephi 16:8- "And I heard the voice of the Lord saying: Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then I said: Here I am, send me".
I like to imagine living with Heavenly Father before coming to Earth and Him reading a mission call, "Who can I send to serve my children in Sacramento and São Paulo? Who is willing to represent my Beloved Son and teach the gospel here? Who will be my valiant servant?" And I said, "Send me! I will do it Father!" Just like Christ answered the call to be our Savior and fulfill His life mission. He is my Example. I am here to help people "understand with their heart and be converted and be healed" (verse 10).
Similar to a 18-month or 2 year mission call, we each have a life mission call. We're each here on a mission here on Earth to remain faithful and return to our Heavenly Home, helping our brothers and sisters along the way. Perhaps before He sent us to Earth, Heavenly Father assigned us our life missions, with our own personalized challenges, difficulties, and experiences to mold and purify us into the sons and daughters of God we truly are. I am grateful for this opportunity to serve a mission as part of my life mission, to help me gain a greater eternal perspective. I know I have a purpose here in São Paulo because I told Heavenly Father I was willing to do this. This is what our missions in life are all about: striving to find our purpose and magifying it.
I hope you each have a wonderful and blessed week! Love and miss you all!!!!
Com Amor,
Sister Jorgensen
P.S. I had some fun pics to send but the computer is not loading them and I am trying not to be frustrated... next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment