Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Sacramento Week 15

Dear Family & Friends,

I can't believe another week has come and gone! What a busy week it has been. 

Our dinner with the family in our ward and our investigators Craig and Amanda finally worked out! After we ate, we watched the Restoration video and had a good discussion about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. The Ferkins, the family in our ward, did a great job fellow shipping them and they are all set to come to church next week!

We also taught the Restoration to Jason and Shelly, our miracle family from last week. Unfortunately, the didn't make it to church yesterday and Shelly told us she is a little bit overwhelmed. We had a good lesson about the importance of reading and praying to get answers so I am faithful that this little bump in the road won't hold her back. The Lord will continue to prepare them just as He already has! We'll stop by again this week.

We had a heart to heart with Ivan and Belen about the Law of Chastity and they told us after they prayed, they don't feel ready to give up living together yet. As disappointing as it was, I feel confident we as missionaries did all we could to teach and explain everything to them, and promise the blessings that come from obedience. I know the Lord will continue to prepare them too. They have come so far and changed so much since we first met them. Even though I wish I could just force them to separate, I am learning how Heavenly Father must feel when we disobey Him, despite the obvious blessings He is just waiting to pour out on us. Our agency, the ability we have to make our own choices, is a priceless gift that God has given us and we have to respect that in others.

We taught Julie the Plan of Salvation this week and started by singing the primary song"I am a Child of God". The Spirit was so strong and she was almost in tears as she told us how much that song reminded her of her kids. She wants us to sing it in Portuguese next week so she can record it. I am definitely not a singer but somehow Heavenly Father has blessed me with the ability to carry somewhat of a pleasant tune since being on a mission. That song is such a testimony to me that we each really are children of a loving Father in Heaven who cares so much about us. What a simple, yet so powerful, truth!

On Saturday we had exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders and Sister Dalley came to my area for the day. I wasn't nervous at all about having to lead my area. Ever since that emergency transfer I feel confident the Lord helps me take charge in this work. That morning we did service for a less-active family by scrubbing bird poop off their ramp and porch (for the second time that week). Maybe this cold I'm recovering from is bird flu... haha just kidding. I'm sure I'm fine. I learned a lot from Sister Dalley and I appreciate her leadership and her example of diligent missionary work.

As crazy as this week was, I just have to mention I am really grateful for the awesome members of our ward who feed us dinner each night. I always look forward to going to those families' homes after a long, often difficult day. Everyone reading this email who has the opportunity to feed the missionaries wherever you are, I want you to know how grateful we are for your service and sacrifice. Your home is a place of refuge for us and I know you are greatly blessed for sharing your home and family with us. Missionaries appreciate being in your home more than you'll ever realize!

No crazy biking in the rain stories this week. In fact, it's supposed to be 75 degrees today! No complaining about the weather here!

"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17) This has been a good reminder to me this week that the way we show God we love Him is by serving our fellow brothers and sisters. Throughout the past few months of my mission, I have truly come to love and appreciate my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I know the best way I can show them is by serving here with all my heart!

Have a great week! I love you and miss you all!
Love, 
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Pics are of a sign in a store window about being "built for Brazil"- I couldn't resist :) One day I'll make it there. And our investigator Larry we ran into on our bikes one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment