Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sacramento Week 12

Dear Family & Friends,

Well... it finally rained! California is in a drought right now and everyone here is worried. It rained a little bit this week for the first time in months. I have to admit, I didn't jump on the bandwagon to pray and fast for the rain (I'm a bit selfish because we are on bike) but I'm glad the Lord blessed this area with some moisture. Please just don't thunderstorm anytime soon!

Aside from the rain, this week has been another busy one! We had a great lesson with a family we've been trying to teach for several weeks, and we are having dinner with them and another family from church on Friday. The mom basically told us she really wants to join the church, she just wants to get her husband on board. Hopefully this family we are eating dinner with can be their friends and fellowship them so they'll feel comfortable enough to come to church. They have 3 super cute kids and our ward needs more young families! They are the perfect little Mormon family... they just don't know it yet :)

Ivan and Belin came to church yesterday! HOORAY! We taught them another lesson this week and they have been praying together every night. So proud of them! Ivan has completely changed. He went from doubting there was even a higher power to now having faith in God and His Son Jesus Christ, to the point where he is willing to make some major changes in his life to be baptized. They asked us what exactly needed to happen before they could be baptized so we were pretty bold about the Word of Wisdom and chastity, since they are living together. Even though it's going to be hard, they are already starting to see how much living the gospel can change their life. It's neat to watch them progress on this journey!

Another person who has completely changed since we started teaching her a few weeks ago is Julie. Julie, the girlfriend of a recently activated man in our ward, has had a very rough past and is overcoming all kinds of addictions. I have noticed the light come back into her eyes and face, especially this past week, and she smiles and laughs all the time. Even their home feels more happy! She told us "this all just feels so right" and loves when we meet with her each week. She can't be baptized for awhile because of several things she has to work on, but we're walking her through her conversion one step at a time. As I visually witness the truth of the gospel, my testimony is strengthened and I know lives and hearts can be changed through the infinite Atonement of Jesus Christ and His healing power- healing which we are ALL in need of.

Other updates... We're still working with Dakota who now wants to be baptized in March. We have our first lesson tonight with a part-member family who have 2 kids that want to be baptized. We have never had so many people to teach in this area. The Lord is pouring out His blessings and we are seeing miracles every day from our patience, obedience, and diligence! We have been working so hard and the Lord is filling our days with people to help and hearts to change. I feel so blessed! I have faith we can have a baptism soon. If it's the Lord's will, it will happen, and He will prepare the way.

A scripture that has really stuck out to me this week is Moroni 10:32, from the last chapter in the Book of Mormon."Yea, come unto Christ and be perfected in him". (The word "perfect" is a bit too overwhelming for me, so I am going to substitute the word "valiant".)

"Yea, come unto Christ and be [valiant] in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be [valiant] in Christ".

It's simple: forget myself and go to work! I must continue to deny myself of all ungodliness and strive to be more like my Savior, giving up my will for His will. Then I must love and serve God, love this work, and love the people all around me. Then His grace will make up the difference! Do all I can, and He will do the rest.

Though I will never be the perfect missionary, I can be and will be a valiant missionary!

I love and miss all of you so much! My thoughts and prayers are with you always. Have a great week!
Love,
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Enjoy these pics from the rain! It was such a big deal we had to document it.



No comments:

Post a Comment