Monday, February 2, 2015

Itapetininga Letter 7

Dear Family & Friends,

Welcome to the last transfer of my mission! 6 weeks to apply everything I have learned and give it every ounce of energy I've got. Sister Vogel and I will both be staying in our area and so will all the sisters we are working with. I'm so excited!!!

This week we had Zone Conference and it was awesome!! In spirit of the Super Bowl (which unfortunately the Brazilians don't really understand but they liked it anyway), President Farnes related football to teaching the gospel more efficiently. Everyday I must choose what "team" I want to play on. Our goal is to rely on our "quarterback" and be the best "wide reciever" we can be and "recieve" the Holy Ghost to help our investigators. It was a very cool training and we watched lots of video clips. I learned that my timing has to be exact, I have to be exactly obedient, and I have to do what the Spirit prompts me to do in that very moment. We often ask people "WHEN you know these things are true, will you be baptized?" but in reality, they already know. The Spirit is there and they are feeling it- we just need to help them recognize that. It's this moment when we should invite them.

So our mission, Brazil São Paulo North, is one of the top 5 missions in Brazil right now, and as a reward, the church sent President Farnes a special treat. After Zone Conference, we all got to watch "Meet the Mormons", the film the church recently released in the movie theatres in  the United States. It hasn't been released in Brazil yet, but President Farnes got it in Portuguese for all the missionaries to watch. IT WAS SO GOOD! First time I have watched a real movie in well over a year so that was fun. And it made me so proud to be a member of the church and see how the gospel plays such a valuable role in the lives of so many. If you haven't watched it yet, watch it! And Mom, I totally cried too watching the missionary story at the end. Wow this movie really touched me!

This week was an emotional roller coaster for me. Nelma (our miracle referral) and her family don't want us to stop by anymore. I can't even tell you how much love I developed for this family so this one broke my heart. We had several other people drop us as well. Just not sure what happens with these people but I have to respect their agency...

Thank goodness Heavenly Father is helping us because church was incredible! Isabel, Eugenio, and their daughter Araceli, who have been coming to our english class, came to church yesterday!!!! They loved it. We spent some time at their house yesterday answering questions about everything from the details of church organization to Adam being Michael.... it was crazy. They are very smart people and analyze everything. So teaching this family has been quite the adventure. Yesterday was Eugenio's birthday and on Friday his mom passed away, and they STILL came to church. All I know is, even though they haven't quite accepted it yet, they WILL be baptized!!!

"And now [Sister Jorgensen] this was the ministry unto which ye were called, to declare these glad tidings unto this people, to prepare their minds, or rather that salvation might come unto them, that they might prepare the minds of their children to hear the word at the time of his coming" (Alma 39:16)

What a great and marvelous work we are a part of. Preparing people for that day when we will all see our Savior again. There is no greater labor of love, no greater joy in the world! I will make the most of every minute of it.

Have a great week everyone and remember to LîVE!!!

Seja Valente e Fiel,
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Pics of the sisters in our zone that we take care of (Sister Silva, Sister Kurtem, me, Sister Vogel, Sister Santos, Sister B. Verçoza- all brazilian) and our awesome family- Araceli, Isabel, and Eugenio on his birthday yesterday.
One more thing... After 7 weeks, we FINALLY have a washing machine!!!!! WOOHOOO!




No comments:

Post a Comment