Monday, July 7, 2014

São Paulo- Santana Letter 9

Dear Family & Friends,

It's transfer week! Just received our calls and tomorrow I am being transfered to the interior of São Paulo! Sister Pinon and Sister Nascimento will be staying here with two other sisters, so our area will split again. I will be serving in Zona Barcelona (hey Dad, I will be in Barcelona- your mission! Not Spain, but at least it has the same name :) ) in area Rio Acima. And guess who my companion is going to be... Sister Lowther! My companion from the Provo MTC!!! I am excited!

This week our new mission president and his family arrived. President Farnes is incredible! Very inspired. The Lord knew we needed him in our mission right now. He is so loving, yet he knows that we have the ability to achieve so much more and he is pushing us! I LOVE his family. They are from Utah and have 5 kids, the oldest is serving in South Africa right now. Three daughters (ages 17, and twins 13) and their youngest son (9) who was adopted came with them. President Farnes served in Porto Alegre, Brazil so he speaks Portuguese. The rest of the family is learning. The Farnes family reminds me so much of my own and I truly believe they are a tender mercy from Heavenly Father to help me feel more "at home" on my mission here in Brazil.

Wesley was baptized on Saturday!!! It could not have been more perfect. He had the happiest grin coming up out of the water, like a little kid on Christmas morning. The Spirit was so strong! And guess what... I played the piano for the baptism service. I have no idea how I got roped into that and I was so nervous and shaky but somehow it all worked out. I also played hymns while Wesley was changing after the baptism and two members of the ward who were there accompanied with violin and flute. It was super cool! Very nerve-wracking experience (especially because I haven't played in 9 months and my hymns are very very limited) but it all turned out great. If I have one regret, it's that I wish I would have learned more hymns and practiced the piano more before my mission. Piano players are desperately needed here.

Ready for another miracle story? We were in Zaki Narchi (the part of our area with lots of lower-income apartment buildings) when one of our appointments fell through so we decided to look for a new investigator. I asked Sister Nascimento which random block we should go to. "Hmm... how about 23?" I asked which apartment. "Hmm I think 12," she decided. Then I asked what the name of the person was going to be, just to make this game even more fun. "Fabio", she said. So we went to find Fabio. We knocked on the door and no answer. Feeling a little bit disappointed in our guessing abilities, we tried other doors above this apartment. As we were leaving the building, Sister Nascimento and Sister Pinon wanted to try knocking on door 12 again. I was doubtful but agreed.
Almost immediately, the door flung open and a man, without a moment of hesitation, told us to enter. We were shocked. His wife was there too. "Oi Irmão, qual é seu nome?" (Hi brother, what is your name? we said)... "Fabio". NO WAY!!!!! My chin dropped to the ground. We taught them the Restoration and added them as new investigators. They accepted the invitation to be baptized.

I have no doubt that Heavenly Father needed us to find them. They were prepared, at that exact moment. I don't know why they didn't open the door the first time, I don't know why they are so special, but Heavenly Father knows. Heavenly Father knows they need the gospel in their lives. And when we have faith and are willing to do the Lord's will, He gives us inspiration and tells us where we need to go. Sister Nascimento's guessing abilities were certainly inspired! It was not a coincidence, that's for sure. I am still in disbelief that his name is Fabio!! Just like the scriptures say, "Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you".

I am a little bit bummed I won't get to see what happens with Fabio and his wife but I know Sister Pinon and her new companion will take care of them. This area is on fire and I am going to miss it! Goodbye city. I'm off to the interior! The biggest lesson I learned here is that the impossible IS possible. When I have faith, and I show the Lord I am willing to work, He will provide the way. Not my way, but His way. Every time.

I am excited to serve in Rio Acima! Can't wait to tell you about all the new miracles we will find next week! Love and miss you all!

Sempre Sorria,
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Pics of me with President Farnes and his family- I love them! Other pic is of Wesley's baptism!!
One more thing- I just found out from my old compaion Sister Zenger in Sacramento. Remember the family Craig and Amanda we taught? Amanda was baptized this weekend!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!! So happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment