Monday, March 31, 2014

Sacramento Week 20

Dear Family & Friends,

Do we realize how lucky we are to have the chance to hear our modern-day prophet and apostles speak to us this weekend??! Just got to throw in my plug for General Conference :) It is so amazing that each time I read or watch those talks, I always feel like there is something thrown in just for me, even though they are addressed to millions of people.

For those who aren't familiar with General Conference, it is a special worldwide broadcast held twice a year, April and October, from Salt Lake where we get to hear from the leaders of the church (you can watch the sessions Saturday andSunday on lds.org or the BYUtv channel). I don't know about you but I'm excited!!! We are so blessed to have the same organization and authority on the Earth today that Christ had when He set up His church over 2,000 years ago. These prophets and apostles are special witnesses of Jesus Christ and they will tell us exactly what the Lord would want us to know for our day. As you watch the sessions, think of a specific question or guidance you need, and I can promise you, if you prayerfully listen with an open heart and open mind, it will be answered through thoughts and feelings from the Spirit.

Jorgensen family, you have a homework assignment to report on your favorite talk in next week's email to me. Happy watching!

On Friday night, Sister Cleverly and I got to go to a baptism for another ward of a 30 year old dad named Matt. Even though Matt wasn't our companionship's baptism, I could still feel the immense joy that comes from watching someone make that special covenant, or promise, with God and begin his journey back to his heavenly home. The Spirit was SO strong! We did this new thing called the "missionary moment" where we taught the Restoration during the few minutes after the baptism while Matt was changing. It's a great finding tool, especially because many non-members are present at baptisms. I am grateful my companion and I got to teach the missionary moment and it was neat for me to see a convert baptism on my mission. Our area hasn't had a baptism but it will soon! Going to Matt's baptism just made us even more determined!!

So Larry is just being Larry and feels like he doesn't want to commit to a baptismal date. See how investigators just get you so excited about baptism and then crush your hopes and dreams? That's all I am going to comment about that. There were several days this week where it seemed like none of our investigators wanted to see us, like Craig & Amanda and Jason & Shelly. On the bright side, the Otts came to church again and even the dad stayed for all 3 hours (miracle!) and so did one of our new investigators named Carl. So good things are still happening!

Ready for some comic relief? One afternoon this week we decided to do a little bit of tracting because all of our other plans fell through. We felt prompted to knock on this one door with one of those annoying metal screens where you can't see in, but they can see out. We heard the door open and a man grunt with disgust as he said "Ugh, it's like your pushing drugs or something" and shut the door. Hahahaha what??!! I wouldn't exactly compare the gospel of Jesus Christ to drugs, but I will admit reading the Book of Mormon can be addicting. Haha anyway, that gave us a good laugh for the day. I'm glad the Lord has a sense of humor and sends us ways to laugh during the day. I need it!

Oh by the way, this week's weather included heavy rain, hail, and even a tornado. And there was an earthquake a few hours away. No big deal. We're just bike riders.

This week had a lot of ups and downs (as does every week) but I learned that if I truly love the Lord, I will truly love my mission- no matter what. And I do! I am so blessed to be here.

"And the Lord said unto [Sister Jorgensen]: Go forth among the [people in Northridge area] thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls" -Alma 17:11

I pray daily to be used in the way the Lord wants me, to do His will, to give Him my best effort, to be an answer to someone else's prayer. I've been in this area 5 months and it's easy to get caught up thinking that I still haven't accomplished anything, but I know that through the strength of the Lord, I am His instrument for many small and simple things. Small and simple things EVERY DAY!
Hope you all had a safe and eventful week! Thanks for all your prayers. Enjoy General Conference!!! Love and miss you all!

Love,
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Picture time... So in the city of Citrus Heights where I am serving, they have a trash pick-up day 3 times a year when everyone puts their junk on the side of the road. It makes the city look so ghetto! Just had to have the picture to prove it. The other pic is just to remind you all that I AM having fun on my mission and I DO love my bike :)



No comments:

Post a Comment