Monday, March 17, 2014

Sacramento Week 18

Dear Family & Friends,

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I can't believe it's Pday for me again already!

Here's an update on our investigators: We helped Amanda, the mom of one of the families we are teaching, organize for a garage sale and convinced her to come to the Stake Relief Society activity. She loved it! We had a good talk with Shelly, one of our other investigators, and though she is still church hopping, she wants to meet with us this week when she is away from her kids so we can answer her questions. We weren't able to meet with the Ott family (hooray for canceled appointments) but we did find two new investigators this week, Joyce and Stevie. We're excited to teach them more this week!

Larry called us Friday and basically told us he didn't want us to come over anymore... that was not a fun conversation. We had a heart to heart with him that afternoon and I think we are all good now. He's getting close to decision time so the adversary is working hard on him. Lots of opposition! Stay strong Larry! He HAS TO get baptized. He's come way too far not to be.

I had a few experiences this week that helped me realize that I am not in this alone and I cannot fail as a missionary. We taught Stevie about the Restoration when we saw her on Saturday and it was probably the worst lesson my companion and I had ever taught. It was just an awkward situation and I felt like I had no idea what I was saying, probably rambling about who knows what. BUT she was captivated! When we were telling the Joseph Smith story she was like, "So what did God tell him? What happened next?!"- totally engaged. That just proves to me that the Spirit is the teacher and not me. No matter how bad I mess up a lesson, as long as the Spirit is there as we teach and testify of truth, I don't have to worry! I know she felt the Spirit of our message. She committed to praying about Joseph Smith and we have a return appointment with her next weekend!

On Thursday after district meeting I was laying down for a few minutes after lunch because I was exhausted. I started to feel very overwhelmed and stressed about the day ahead of us. I was feeling like I didn't want to go through another transfer in this area, I didn't want to even be a missionary that day. See how Satan messes with our thoughts?! I turned on my MP3 that my mom sent me a few months ago and listened to the piano music of "I Know that my Redeemer Lives". After crying and pleading with my Heavenly Father just to give me the strength to make it through the day, I felt immediate comfort and peace. I was reminded again of how hard my Savior's mission was and that He knew exactly how I was feeling. As much as I didn't want to, my companion and I hopped on our bikes and started visiting the people on our list. That day ended up being one of the best days of the whole week and we had many productive lessons and visits. All I know is, if I had to do this work on my own, I would have quit a long time ago. I am so grateful that the Lord labors with me.

"And he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness...I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong" - 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

In those moments of weakness, when I have no where to turn but to the Lord, THAT is when I grow the most. That's when I am molded and shaped into the missionary my Father in Heaven wants me to be. That's when I become a true representative of Jesus Christ. If this mission was easy, I wouldn't learn anything! Because it's difficult, and hard in ways I never expected, I am becoming strong and valiant in my purpose and faith.

I pray that the Lord will bless you each with the strength to make it through your days, no matter what comes your way. He is always there to turn to and fill us His immediate love and peace. With the Lord on our side, we cannot fail.

I love you all!
Love, 
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. One of the pictures is from this past Sunday when Sister Cleverly and I helped teach a primary class about missionary work. It was so fun and look how adorable those kids are!! The other picture is from this morning, wearing our lovely St. Patty's day scarves from my mommy :)
Also I'm starting to get the best sister missionary shoe and watch tan line. Yay for the California sun!



No comments:

Post a Comment