Tuesday, August 26, 2014

SP Barcelona Rio Acima- Letter 7

Dear Family & Friends,

Guess what... I'm training!!! We received our transfer calls last Monday night and I was told that I would be training a brand new missionary here in Rio Acima. And I'm sure you all know my first thoughts... What?! Why?! How?! Stressful! Feeling super inadequate, I prayed and told Heavenly Father that if He wanted me to train, she needed to be Brazilian (according to His will of course) because I need to improve my Portuguese and people here need someone who natively speaks their language. This area has not had a Brazilian missionary for almost a year. Tuesday we traveled to São Paulo and I met my new companion, straight from the MTC: Sister R. Santos, BRAZILIAN!!!!!

Sister R. Santos is incredible! She is from a city near Recife, Brazil and she is 21 years old. She was baptized just 2 years ago and is the only member of her family. She found the church through a friend (see why it's so important to share the gospel with our friends??!). More than anything, she hopes that serving this mission will touch her mom's heart to accept the gospel. Her testimony is inspiring and after a week, she already looks like she has a year of experience in the mission field. I am amazed. Truly, she is training ME. I am so blessed to have her!

I think I have spoken more Portuguese this week than I have in my entire life. And because I am forced to lead and forced to speak more, I am learning more. Sister R. Santos doesn't speak any English, aside from "hi" and "bye" and a few colors. I didn't realize how much I relied on my American companions when I could quickly and easily explain something in English when they couldn't understand me. Now I can't do that! Holy cow, it's tough. This is very good for me. Heavenly Father knew what I needed! I am also teaching Sister R. Santos English. She can already pray! And sing "Happy Birthday"- just preparing her for the upcoming week :)

This week we found an awesome family to teach and they already prayed and feel like this is what God wants for them. Maria, Adilson, and their 17 year old son Gabriel. I am so excited!!! We are still teaching Helena and she will most likely be baptized in September! And Eduardo recieved the Aaronic Priesthood yesterday! (Priesthood is authority from God to act in His name. Worthy men in the church can recieve the Priesthood to bless and pass the Sacrament, baptize, give blessings and perform other ordinances).

Why must we do things that are hard and take us out of our comfort zone? "That they themselves may be prepared, and that my people may be taught more perfectly, and have experience, and know more perfectly concerning their duty and the things which I require at their hands" -Doctrine and Covenants 105:10

As I look at Sister R. Santos, my missionary "daughter", I try to picture myself 11 months ago. I know for a certainty I did not have nearly as much confidence! I am so excited to see where she goes and who she becomes throughout the next few months with her. I know I am having this chance to train so I can be trained. As I am focusing on her and doing all that I can to help her, I am being edified. I am becoming a better missionary. It's not easy and there are many moments where I think to myself "I have no idea what I'm doing". But it's okay, because the Lord knows. Thankfully this is His work and not mine.

Love you all!
Sempre Sorria (Always Smile),
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Pics of my new sweet little companion!





No comments:

Post a Comment