Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sao Paulo- Santana Letter 1

Dear Family & Friends,

"Is there anything too hard for the Lord?" (Genesis 18:14) This is one of the 18 faith scriptures we recite in Portuguese every morning and every night. With faith in our Savior Jesus Christ, we can accomplish anything and be the instrument for bringing about many miracles!

WELCOME TO THE SAO PAULO NORTH MISSION!!!! Honestly this past week was tough for me, physically, mentally, and emotionally. So I definitely cried when I skyped with my family on Sunday for Mother's Day! Despite all the blisters from walking (about 8 to 10 miles a day) and getting used to a new language and culture, I have to remember everything is hard before it is easy. 

On Tuesday we left the MTC, met our new companions, and went straight to work in our new areas. I am serving in the Sao Paulo North Zone in the wealthier part of the city, in the Santana area. Our area is huge so there are two sets of Sisters and we live together (in a very nice apartment! I got lucky). Sister Pinon, my friend from the Provo and Brazil MTC, is serving in the other companionship here with me so that's been fun. I have an American companion, Sister Garner, from Mesa, AZ. She has been out for 13 months total, 8 months in Brazil. Sister Garner was transferred here to Santana only 2 weeks before I arrived so it's been quite the adventure trying to figure everything out, especially when I feel like I am no help. But Sister Garner is an awesome missionary and we are doing our best! We have been adding lots of new investigators. 

The missionary work here is on fire! There is no doubt that these people are prepared. I don't know if it's the culture or two random American girls talking about forever happiness, but people here are just more willing to listen! Sister Garner does most of the talking in our lessons right now, as it is very frustrating not being able to express what I want to say. But I know I have to be patient! I can't be afraid to speak because the only way I will learn is if I try to talk as much as I can, despite the many mistakes. I'll write more about our investigators next week.

I LOVE Brasileiros. They are so warm, sincere, and friendly! All the women greet you with kisses on the cheek. They are your best friend after just a minute of talking to them. No strangers here! The members of the Santana ward are strong in testimony and faith. And they are so excited about missionary work and love the missionaries. We have lunch appointments with members every day, instead of dinner like in the United States. Lots of rice and beans! I tried a new fruit called "caqui" the other day. It was kind of like a crunchy sweet tomato pear thing. And I tried cashew juice... not a fan of that one. But overall, I have been very impressed with what people feed us!

Well my brain hurts. I know these first few months are going to be tough, and right now it's been more physically tough than anything else. I am just so tired! But I really am SO happy to be here. I'm so thankful for this opportunity to serve my brothers and sisters here in Brazil, to take what I have learned in California to be the best, most valiant, missionary the Lord wants me to be. I know Heavenly Father has everything all under control and He knows me better than I know myself. He knows what I am feeling and He sends me little daily reminders to let me know I am not too far from home (like hearing Taylor Swift playing from a nearby store haha). I am so grateful to know I have a loving Heavenly Father, an "Amoroso Pai Celestial", who loves me and wants me to be happy. It's so special to see and feel how my same Father in Heaven loves these precious people, moms and dads, sons and daughters, here in Brazil too.

Pray for my blisters! I don't want to even tell you how many band-aids I go through a day. I LOVE YOU ALL!

Com Amor,
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. Pics of my new companion and I, the Sao Paulo temple, and the first day in our new apartment when I saw the view from our window (we live on the 8th floor- I still can't believe we live in a place that nice).




No comments:

Post a Comment