Monday, January 13, 2014

Sacramento Week 9

Dear Family & Friends,

This week has been really good! Best week we've had in a long time. The Lord blessed us with lots of missionary opportunities the past few days and I am very grateful!

We went to visit a less-active named Jenny and miraculously she was home and invited us in (we have been trying to get into her home for months). We met her 18 year old son Ivan and his girlfriend Belin and Jenny asked us if we could start teaching them the lessons. Yes! Miracle! New investigators! We came back the next day and taught them a little bit about the Plan of Salvation. The lesson didn't go anything like we planned and we ended up focusing a lot on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Spirit was really strong as we testified of the Savior's sacrifice and what it means to each one of us individually. When we told Belin she was a daughter of God who loved her so much, all she could say was "Really? That's so beautiful", like it was the most comforting thing she had ever heard in her whole life. Both Ivan and Belin accepted the invitation to be baptized so we're really excited!

That lesson taught me a few things. First, lessons rarely ever go like we plan but we've just got to trust the Spirit and teach what we are inspired to say. When we teach to the needs of the investigator, they are able to understand more clearly and feel the truthfulness of our message. We may not know what people are struggling with, but when we have the Spirit, we trust that the Lord will put into our minds what to say to comfort them. Another thing I learned was just the simple truth that we are children of God is something not everyone in the world truly understands. Even more, that He loves us so much that He gave us His son, who suffered for your sins and mine, so we could live with God again. Just like Belin said, it really is beautiful!

Other highlights of the week... giving a guy named Estabon a Book of Mormon at the bus stop; meeting a former investigator named Ron who, even though he wasn't interested anymore, said Mormons are the nicest people he has ever met (made my heart smile!); having a great discussion about faith and works with a crazy Bible lady named Jenny; and one of my favorite moments of all: riding past the elementary school on our bikes and hearing the voice of a little boy in our ward scream from all the way across the playground "HI SISTER MISSIONARIES!" Made my day :) That's right, I am a sister missionary!

I've been studying a lot about developing Christ-like attributes this past week and I decided that 2014 is my year to be a VALIANT missionary. I just really like that word! It's "valente" in Portuguese. What does it mean to be "valiant"? Being strong, bold, unwavering. Courageous and brave like Esther in the Old Testament. Faithful and obedient like the 2,000 stripling warriors in the Book of Mormon. As I pray for more spiritual sensitivity to recognize inspiration, I must "valiantly follow promptings [I] receive" (Preach My Gospel, 91). I must have confidence in my calling as a missionary, trusting the Spirit in all I do and say. To be a valiant missionary, I must keep working hard, not be afraid to open my mouth, have a positive attitude no matter where I serve, and stand strong in my testimony of what I know to be true. Only through the Lord can I be His valiant servant as I represent Him, my Savior and my Master, who has called me to do this great work. 2014: My Quest for Valiance!

I hope this letter finds you all happy and blessed! I love you and miss you!
Love, 
Sister Jorgensen

P.S. I just got an email from another "Sydney Jorgensen" who is a missionary in New York City, Spanish-speaking. She emailed me saying that a lot of people have been emailing her (her email is sydney.jorgensen@myldsmail.net) for me. Haha! I remember meeting her when I worked at the MTC and she was there. What a small world! I have an imposter! My email is "sjorgensen@myldsmail.net".

My next 2 pdays will be on Tuesdays due to interviews with our mission president and transfers the week after that. I tried to be a fancy photographer again with my name tag and favorite verse. Enjoy! Also we went exploring and found cool bike jumps! 



No comments:

Post a Comment